Rented Property and Landlords

Whilst you could carry out some of the work on your own initiative, and even apply for a grant (e.g. for loft insulation), other items will naturally require the landlord to be involved. He, or she, may need to be aware of the following:

Landlords Energy Saving Allowance (THIS SECTION AWAITS UPDATES)

Landlords who pay income tax can, when calculating their taxable profits, deduct the cost of acquiring and installing some energy saving measures in a dwelling house which they let, including: loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation, hot water system insulation, draught proofing and floor insulation. This is capped at £1,500 per property.

Please also look at the financial support available for private tenants and landlords via the Energy Saving Trust grant finder.  See or phone 0300 123 1234.