Call: 0785 4458 786


Rented Property and Landlords

Whilst you could carry out some of the work on your own initiative, and even apply for a grant (e.g. for loft insulation), other items will naturally require the landlord to be involved. He, or she, may need to be aware of the following:

Landlords Energy Saving Allowance  

Landlords who pay income tax can, when calculating their taxable profits, deduct the cost of acquiring and installing some energy saving measures in a dwelling house which they let, including: loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation, hot water system insulation, draught proofing and floor insulation. This is capped at £1,500 per property.

Please also look at the financial support available for private tenants and landlords via the Energy Saving Trust grant finder.  See or phone 0300 123 1234.

The Green Deal for landlords

Landlords can now also apply for Green Deal funding which means they can arrange for work to be carried out with no upfront costs., provided the tenant agrees.  The tenant will then repay the loan through their electricity bills but this extra payment should be less than the savings made on energy costs.  Tenants can also arrange for Green Deal work to be carried out but will need their landlord’s permission.  By 2018 landlords will have to improve all properties that score F or G on an EPC. 


Funded by LEADER

Light Foot Enterprises Registered charity number 1154310. Registered Company 6494228

Correspondence address: 2 Church Street, Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9 5AA